Tuesday, March 18, 2008

FASHION REPORT de PERU
Part Dos - cirugía plástica y estetica

Plastic surgery is huge in Peru. In the cities, there are signs everywhere advertising fat-sucking and boob jobs. My mother-in-law told me she has her sun spots fried off in ten minutes. This intrigued me, but scared me as well. Of course, the procedures are cheaper down there than in the US, but I'm not signing up to have a brow lift anytime soon, thanks.

Plastic surgeons are doing very well right now. Loads of tourists are heading to Peru to get things "done." Brazil was always the go-to place in South America for this kind of stuff, but lately Peru is right on Brazil's butt implants.

While browsing in this department, I came across this surgeon's website. Check it out. Hilarious. Love the intro with Kenny G playing in the background, and his art gallery.

An interesting fact: Miss World from Peru,
Maria Julia Mantilla, who won the crown in 2004, attempted to sue her plastic surgeon, Dr. Cesar Morillas, when he tried to take credit for her beauty and thus her win. He claimed he did many things to her besides the nose job and "breast augmentation" that she admitted to, including her ears, chin, and lips - all of which she denies. Escandal!



Hair extensions are also big in Peru. I was actually planning on having them put in (for the sake of this blog, of course) because they're cheaper, but I ran out of time.

There are giant signs all over one area of Arequipa (maybe the hair district?) that advertise beauty procedures including hair and makeup that promise to make you look like Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn's name is in huge letters over the top of photos of women made up to look like her.

Marilyn Monroe, Peruvian beauty icon.

Which brings me to this: Most of the models and mannequins used to advertise beauty products and fashion are white or very light skinned and pale-haired. I saw a disturbing television ad for toilet paper depicting a little girl who was potty training. She had skin whiter than mine (think ambulance-white) and bright red hair. She looked Irish.

Discrimination based on skin color is rampant in Peru, especially in urban areas.
It's said that president, Alan Garcia, is working to change things and I can only hope that this kind of prejudice will be history one day.

In addition, there is discrimination against the large Japanese population in Lima. In response, Alan Garcia has Named April 3rd : Day of Japanese-Peruvian Friendship. Japan and other Eastern Asia countries have a huge influence on style and culture in Peru. Korean cartoons like Pucca Funny Love and my favorite, Monokuro Boo, are huge in Peru and can be found on everything from handbags to slippers. I picked up a few goodies, but missed out on a fabulous Monokuro Boo bag in an Arequipa market because I thought I could find it cheaper in Lima.



Japanese street fashion and Cosplay also seems to be a hit in Peru. Apparently there are cosplay competitions in the cities. Walking down the street in Arequipa, I came across this flyer.

No comments: