Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Hump Day Fashion Icon

TWIGGY: HIGH FASHION SUPERHERO!

This week's Hump Day Fashion Icon is inspired by a dream I had a couple nights ago. In my dream, I was looking in the mirror over my vanity. As I frosted the rims of my eyes in thick black eyeliner and drew on big bottom lashes, I realized I was looking back at Twiggy.

No surprise that I would dream of seeing Twiggy as she's one of my all-time favorite fashion icons. After being discovered by an agent at sixteen, the skinny girl born in London was advised to chan
ge her name from Lesley Hornby to her childhood nickname, "Twiggy."

Soon after, she became one of the first "supermodels" and the "Face of '66" in Britain. Her mod look was heavily inspired by Mary Quaint and "swinging London." Now 59 years old, the former supermodel has been a guest judge on America's Next Top Model and proves she's still got style and glamour to boot.

She was never one to toot her own horn, however. Looking back she says,
"At sixteen, I was funny, skinny little thing, all eyelashes and legs. And then, suddenly people told me it was gorgeous. I thought they had gone mad." Not mad at all, actually. Tall, androgynous, with big doe eyes and a kicking bob, Twiggy is a fashion superhero!

No comments: